My husband reminded me of this incident a couple of days ago and I think it was definitely one of those situations where I can now look back and laugh but at the time, I was so shocked and angry, I certainly could not see the funny side at all.
It was a Saturday night and the two younger boys were watching TV in their older brother’s bedroom on the ground floor while I was making some tea. The door was closed and I could hear some giggling and whispering, so I had an inkling that something was going on. Then the giggling changed into worried voices, so I decided to go in.
When I went in, the two boys were sat on the sofa, a little red-faced, but no immediate signs of them trying to decapitate each other as was so often the case. I asked them if they were OK, to which to which they both nodded frantically. Then as I went to turn around, I spotted it. What looked like water on the floor. In fact not just on the floor, but pretty much everywhere; the carpet, the sofa bed, the duvet and even dripping off the cupboard.
Unimpressed, I asked them what on earth had been going on and I was met with very ashamed faces. So much so that I realised that the wet stuff was not water, oh no, it was wee. It really was everywhere. I was horrified and could not understand how there was urine all over the room.
Once I had stopped shouting, it turned out that the boys had needed the toilet and neither of them could be bothered to go out of the bedroom. Then with their little eyes, they had spied these…
… I’m sure lots of you have these lovely little pots from Ikea, great for storing odds and ends, for playing throwing games and wearing as hats. Though not good for weeing in. The boys in their ultimate wisdom had decided that a weeing contest would be fun and that mummy would never know. Except, what my two little men didn’t realise was that these pots are made out of very fine material. Oh yes! So instead of collecting their wee, it all seeped out all over their brother’s bedroom.
Looking back, it was quite funny. At the time it was not. Luckily, no permanent damage was done, well maybe a little to their ear drums as I did shout very loudly that day!!