Young and in Love?

So L is in love. He has been in love with the young lady in question a few times before.  There hasn’t been anyone else in between, he is very loyal like that. He is only seven, but apparently; in spite of his brother’s constant comments about him being too young, this is it for him.  She is the one, the love of his life.  we have even discussed marriage and children, it is THAT serious.

He does make me laugh when he is in this sort of mood.   ‘Love’ is definitely good for him as this week has been a stark contrast to the last few weeks when has been fed up in school and generally cantankerous.  He talks about her constantly about the time he has spent with her at lunch and break times.  He doesn’t spend time with her in class of course as he has “too much work to do”.  But there is kissing and ‘stuff’ apparently.

He reassured me last night that I didn’t need to worry as although he loves this girl, he still loves me too and he will always love me more.

There was some trouble yesterday at the end of the day.  The teaching assistant came out to talk to me at the end of school to explain that there had been an ‘altercation’ between L and one of his friends.  When I asked L why, he explained that his ‘girlfriend’ had kissed him on the cheek and his friend; who was going out with the same girl before, got rather upset as he still loves her and was really jealous.  Some unkind words had been passed between the two of them and L’s friend; unable to cope with the rejection, had retreated sobbing. L was indignant as apparently his friend has “another girlfriend” and so L fails to understand why he is behaving like this.

I did try very hard to keep a straight face as this ‘love triangle’ unfolded and I reminded L that he should still be keeping his friends as friendships are more important than girlfriends.  Apparently not.  Not when you’re seven and in love anyway.

So, it is all good and L is a very happy bunny.  Sadly, the young lady in question is somewhat flighty and does trifle with the affection of the boys in her class, so I don’t know how long this ‘love’ will last.  I will buy a large box of tissues and a bar of chocolate, just in case.

1. Awwh love is hard as I tell my son what are girls he replies a distraction

2. Awwww that’s so cute. She is one very lucky girl! It’ll be so cute if he brings her home to introduce her to you :) hehe, how times change!

3. Your boy sounds so lovely and I hope he doesn’t get his heart broken just yet!
    Also scares the life out of me that in just 3 years my boy could be talking of girlfriends, love, kissing and ‘stuff’. *gulp* x

4. This is too cute! I didn’t realise that relationship complications started so soon! Love the part where he told you not to worry. Adorable! x

5. That is so cute! Although I would also be slightly mortified if my kids were ‘in love’. My eldest had a ‘girlfriend’ in Year 5, who had apparently ‘been out with’ many of the boys in his class. But nothing since. My daughter is friends with a boy who says he has ‘four girlfriends’ – my daughter being one of them!

6. We have 2 friends with 6 year old girls. Both girls have told their parents since they were 3 that they are marrying my son. My son is now 15 lol It’s adorable. They like to gang up on him and he’s so good running around yard, house, or camping chasing them. He takes it in stride. We know the girls will move on eventually :)

7. How sweet, we’ve mostly escaped romance because they were in single sex schools in Ireland until the other day when Madam reported a boy in her class thought he was in love but can’t be because he’s only 6. E announced you could because he was in love at 5 – news to me!! Xx