Mud, moaning and mayhem

Mud, moaning and mayhem

A tale that has it all; mud, moaning and mayhem, aka, another day in the life of our family.

We don’t really go in for new year’s resolutions in this house, we have things that we would like to do or achieve and one of those things is to get out more as a family.  We say this a lot.  We live in a beautiful part of the world and we should make more of it but life gets in the way.  Sport, clubs, homework and other things always seem to get in the way and we always enjoy getting out and doing things, especially if there is fresh air and lots of space involved.

In the spirit of this, we decided to walk off some of the Christmas excesses and go for a walk up Bredon Hill.  We love it up there, it is a short drive to the bottom and from there are lots of routes of different lengths and when you get towards the top, the views are breathtaking.

Mud and Mayhem 1

As per usual, our decision to go was thwarted by rubbish weather and persistent moaning from the children.  Cries of too far, too tired, it’s too windy all hiding the older one’s reluctance to put down their devices. Determined, I rounded them up, turned everything off and bustled them into the car with slightly more enthusiasm than I was actually feeling as the rain whipped my face and the wind picked up speed.

Muddy Mayhem 2

But fresh air is like magic, once the lungs are filled and the cobwebs have been blown away, everyone was red-cheeked and smiling.  It doesn’t feel like an effort, we walked and talked, talked and walked, ran, climbed and laughed.  For the first time in ages, we enjoyed some family time without any of the distractions of daily life.  It was wonderful. We even saw the large herd of deer that roam across the hill, something that had previously eluded us.

The deer on Bredon Hill

Yes, it rained.  Yes, I nearly got squashed by a large falling branch. Yes, one child nearly lost a welly in the mud.   Yes, it was so windy when we headed up onto the higher ground, we could hardly stand.  Yes, by the time we got home, we were all drenched through to the skin, but it was wonderful.  I recommend it to anyone and although I hope that it will be slightly drier, I can’t wait to do it again.

Muddy Mayhem 3

Muddy Mayhem 7

Muddy Mayhem 8

Muddy Mayhem 10
Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

1. January 6, 2016 / 6:40 am

Amen to that! Glad everyone enjoyed it. I think getting out in the fresh air is always good, whatever the weather. Getting soaked to the skin on a brisk walk in the countryside is better than slouching round the house on devices any day!

2. January 7, 2016 / 6:38 am

Your house sounds just like mine – the hardest part of any day out is rounding everyone up to leave the house and getting any enthusiasm out of them for it – once we are out everyone inevitably really enjoys it! Looks like a lovely place for a walk, even on a windy wet day!

3. January 8, 2016 / 3:11 pm

Looks like it was just the perfect thing! I think we really need to do more walks this year. We used to be good at it, then all got lazy and started just driving everywhere! Happy new year Nikki!!

4. January 11, 2016 / 8:33 am

I would agree it is nice to get out and about, you may need to invest in some waterproof trousers. Well done on rounding them up and dragging them away and I am glad they all enjoyed it. Oops at the branch nearly hitting you, the draw back of windy near trees, and we have walked out of wellies on more than one occasion as well, adds to the hilarity for the rest of the people watching you struggle. over from #countrykids

5. January 11, 2016 / 11:43 am

Well done on rounding up the troupes and getting them enjoying some outdoor time away from the screens. You can tell by their faces they’re all glad you dragged them out, even if they got soaking wet and cold they got to enjoy time as a family which all kids love. I bet the kids were amazed to see the massive heard of deer, maybe you’ll get a closer look next time! I look forward to some more of your future adventures as a family. Thanks for linking up with me on Country Kids.

6. January 13, 2016 / 9:44 am

What a lovely place to walk and it always feels like an achievement when you manage to drag the kids out and they eventually stop moaning! 🙂