Project Shout – Shouting Out about Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Project Shout – Shouting Out about Carbon Monoxide Alarms

We have all heard about the dangers of carbon monoxide but do you really understand the dangers and why it is so dangerous?

I for one can hold my hand up and say that I am one of those people.  I have heard about the dangers, I know that it can kill people but if I am honest, it is one of those things that has been added to the “it won’t happen to us” part of my brain and forgotten about.

Having visited the Project Shout website, that has changed.

Project Shout Logo

Project Shout is shouting out about the dangers of carbon monoxide and encouraging people to understand the dangers, the importance of regularly maintaining all fuel burning appliances and why they should invest in a carbon monoxide alarm.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas which can be produced when a fuel isn’t burnt properly.  This occurs most commonly from faulty boilers, gas fires or cookers.  It can also occur from barbecues, portable heaters or generators, blocked chimneys and cigarette smoke. The gas is completely invisible to any of the human senses as it is tasteless, odourless and cannot be seen.  This is why it is called a silent killer as, without a carbon monoxide alarm, you have no idea that it is being produced.

How serious is carbon monoxide poisoning?

Very serious.  Around 200 people each year on average are admitted to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning which leads to around 50 deaths.  The sad reality is that those deaths can be easily prevented and that is what Project Shout is all about.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

The symptoms are similar to many other illnesses and can often be mistaken for something else.  The six most common symptoms are breathlessness, headaches, dizziness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.  If you or your family are experiencing the symptoms at home and they subside when you leave the house or if everyone living in the same place is experiencing the same symptoms, this should set alarm bells ringing.  Get out of the house immediately and visit your local A&E or GP.

Is everyone at risk?

Because of the nature of carbon monoxide, it is dangerous to everyone but there are some groups of people who are more at risk. Young children, people with heart or breathing problems, old people and pregnant women are all more susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide. People can be at risk at home and on holiday.

About Project Shout

Project Shout

As I said, Project Shout is all about shouting about carbon monoxide.  Making people aware.  Making people buy carbon monoxide alarms because they can save lives. The website is full of useful information about carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide poisoning, what can cause it and what to do if you are worried.

The website is full of useful information about carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide poisoning, what can cause it and what to do if you are worried.  There is advice about which carbon monoxide alarms to buy, where to buy them and where to put them.

Project Shout also shares stories from people who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and luckily survived and some that sadly lost loved ones.  Each testimony is in firm support of Project Shout and wanting to raise awareness of this deadly problem.

Buy a carbon monoxide alarm

It is possible to buy one for less than £20 which is nothing if it can save your life or the life of someone you love.  We have a Fire Angel digital carbon monoxide alarm and it is easy to set up and read and has an audible alarm if the gas is detected. The alarms are also fully portable, so don’t forget to pack it in your suitcase when you go on holiday.

These alarms can and will save lives so visit the Project Shout website today to find out more.

digital LCD carbon monoxide alarm





1 Comment

  1. August 9, 2017 / 2:26 pm

    This is something that scares me, but I must admit I always assume it is something that happens in dodgy holiday villas or nasty rental bedsits, not to ‘people like us’. I think £20 is a very small price to pay for safety and peace of mind, so I will look into getting one of the detectors, thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.