The Socklympics

I don’t know about you, but we are getting a bit tired of this wet weather. Every time the children want to go outside to do something, it is either raining or it is too wet.  The garden resembles a large squelchy bog and anyone intrepid enough to venture there is in certain danger of losing wellies or worse.

L in particular finds this a real nuisance and after a moaning session last week (apparently it is all MY fault that it is wet all of the time) I challenged him to come up with something to do indoors.

So he did.

The Socklympics.

He was helping me with the never-ending task that is matching up all of the odd socks and I was sorting out the ones that have been in the pile for so long now there is no hope for them and saying that it was time to put them in the bin, when he came up with the fantastic idea of the Socklympics; an indoor game that could be played with friends or family using old odd socks wrapped into a ball.

He went away and thought about it and then came back with a list.

There were the obvious ones of course; sockball (football) where you could also use odd socks to make up a goal area, socketball (basketball) here you would use a bowl or basket on the floor to slam dunk the socks into and sockby (rugby) where you would have to try and fashion your sock ball into an oval shape and try and get your ball over the sock try line.

But he didn’t stop there.  Sockey where you would hit your sock ball into a goal with some sort of stick, sockeyball (volleyball) where you knocked the sock ball over a chair to one another trying to get your opponent to drop it on the floor, solf which involved knocking a small sock ball into holes fashioned out of cups and containers with a stick, table sockis where you used small bats or your hands to hit the sock ball over the table to your opponent, the sock jump where you use odd socks to make a long jump run and try and jump the furthest along it (in your socks of course) and last but not least the sockathon which would be a long run in socks around the house.

things to do with odd socks

L is very proud of his creation and wants to create some sock shaped medals so that we can all compete in the Socklympics next week during half term.

So what sock event would you add to the line up?

Over on the Center Parcs website, they are keen to know what indoor games you and your family would create to keep yourselves busy during these cold and wet wintry days and have some tips and ideas to help you on your way.

I’m a Center Parcs Family Blogger and will be visiting Longleat Forest village with my family. If you want to enter to win a place as a wildcard winner just go the challenge page to find out how http://bit.ly/1iAuAIx

1. February 12, 2014 / 11:37 pm

As owner of a VERY large bag of odd socks, thanks to the sock gnome that lives in our house, I am hugely in favour of the Socklympics. I know that my 4yo and 2yo will be too!

And I have a feeling that our favourite will be ‘dodgesock’ (that’s dodgeball if you hadn’t guessed) since the kids are never happier than when they are flinging socks around trying to ‘get mummy’ with them 😉
    Mummygadgetgeek recently posted…Win tickets to The Baby Show at Excel, 21-23 FebruaryMy Profile

Author
      February 13, 2014 / 9:43 am

Dodgesock!! I like it and yes I can imagine that being very popular here too. We have also come up with Sockput which we quite liked

Author
      February 13, 2014 / 9:42 am

Thanks, he is quite clever bless him and yes, we have so many spare socks it makes me wonder where the other ones wander off to

2. February 13, 2014 / 8:21 am

That is GENIUS. I have enough odd socks for all these and more!!
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Two and a Half.My Profile

Author
      February 13, 2014 / 9:41 am

He is quite clever and is always coming up with schemes; this time it was a really good one!

3. February 13, 2014 / 9:55 am

I have to admit that we have played ‘find the sock’ in desperate wet weather times which involves me throwing all the socks we have in the air and then us pairing up and ‘pick up all the socks’ where again I throw all the socks in the air and the little one has to run around and pick up all the socks before a piece of music ends. Socks are ace!
    Kirsty recently posted…Family Tree Inspired by The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinMy Profile

4. February 13, 2014 / 10:31 am

How inventive!

I am quite convinced we have a sock monster living in my washing machine to a game to rid us of him would be fabulous! Please!!
    Donna @ Little Lilypad Co recently posted…Love Is ….. just isMy Profile

5. February 13, 2014 / 1:45 pm

I LOVE this idea: where on earth do all the odd socks come from? Where do they go? I’ll be suggesting the Socklympics in my house!
    Alice recently posted…MTT: Paleo PancakesMy Profile

Author
      February 15, 2014 / 10:56 am

I have often wondered as we have ridiculous amounts of odd socks here

6. February 14, 2014 / 6:48 pm

I have a DRAWER of odd socks, GENIUS idea!

Author
      February 15, 2014 / 10:55 am

I’m sure that you will, just ask the girls, I ‘ll bet they can think of something

Author
      February 18, 2014 / 5:59 pm

Thanks, he he thinks of everything