Puzzlewood

Puzzlewood
Entering Puzzlewood

Entering Puzzlewood

Having lived most of my life in this area which is only about a forty minute drive to the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, I have never ever been there.  It is one of those places that people always talk about as being brilliant for families and great for taking children and it has been on the list of places to visit for some time but it has eluded us and I was determined that this year, we would go and explore to see if it was a good as people said.

Trees at Puzzlewood

Trees at Puzzlewood

The Forest of Dean itself covers a huge area (526.4 km² to be precise) and holds endless possibilities of activities; whether you are looking for a gentle stroll, something more adventurous, a ride on a steam train, cycling or visiting a museum, it really does have something for everyone.

Exploring Puzzlewood

Exploring Puzzlewood

We decided on a visit to Puzzlewood.  One of the children had picked up a leaflet about Puzzlewood at a service station once and it sounded like the perfect place for a family day out.

Time for reflection at Puzzlewood

Time for reflection at Puzzlewood

Described as a magical forest, Puzzlewood has lots of history both recent and past.  There is a board showing the many famous faces that have visited Puzzlewood as it is a popular place to film both television and film.  It is easy to see why with its maze of pathways and the amazing backdrop of not just the trees and plants but the gnarled tree roots, rock cavities and exposed caves which are dramatic and unique.

Slippery slopes at Puzzlewood

Slippery slopes at Puzzlewood

Different Textures at Puzzlewood

Different Textures at Puzzlewood

Puzzlewood 7

Puzzlewood

Puzzlewood 8

Puzzlewood

It is very eerie and there are plenty of things to see whilst you climb up steps, cross bridges and jump across stepping-stones.  There are a few things to look out for as you walk around but it is just a calm and serene place to explore.  We loved it.

Going into Puzzlewood

Going into Puzzlewood

Once back out of the forest, there is an outdoor play area, an indoor and outdoor maze and some farm animals to explore along with a picnic area and a cafe which makes a lovely cup of tea.

Puzzlewood

Puzzlewood

The play areas are more suited to younger children and A was in her element but Puzzlewood itself is suitable for everyone to explore and enjoy.  I would definitely recommend a visit.

Puzzlewood

Puzzlewood

Stepping stones at Puzzlewood

Stepping stones at Puzzlewood

Different textures Puzzlewood

Different textures Puzzlewood

A slippery slope at Puzzlewood

A slippery slope at Puzzlewood

1. May 14, 2015 / 8:07 am

You and me both! I’m always hearing how nice it is, yet have never been! It definitely sounds (and looks) like a great place to visit. Maybe we’ll make it there this summer.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The Royal Ballet auditionMy Profile

2. Chickenruby
    May 14, 2015 / 10:05 am

If you enjoyed puzzle wood you should visit the sculpture trail also at Beechenhurst, after a well signposted walk discovering swings, musical instruments and a giants chair there’s a playground, open space to run around and play football, plus a cafe, gift shop and BBQ areas

Author
      May 14, 2015 / 10:51 am

Funnily enough we stopped there on the way home as my daughter needed the toilet and it looked amazing, we are definitely going to go there as it looks great for the kids and the older two especially

3. wendy
    May 14, 2015 / 9:13 pm

Its a fab place, the forest of dean is excellent place to visit lots to see and do there! A lovely place to grow up!

Author
      May 18, 2015 / 10:07 am

Yes I am annoyed with myself that this is the first time I have ever been, we will definitely go more often now that we have discovered how lovely it is

4. May 21, 2015 / 1:48 pm

Do I spy lots of wild garlic?!

As you know, I adore forests and this has been on my list for a long time. Just need an excuse to get over to that part of the country now.

Author
      May 21, 2015 / 2:02 pm

You do, well spotted, it smelt amazing. It is well worth a visit

5. May 21, 2015 / 10:11 pm

Looks a great place to explore – and love the look on your girl’s face in that last photo 🙂 #timetraveller
    Stephanie Robinson recently posted…Three Grand GardensMy Profile

6. May 25, 2015 / 5:23 pm

What a beautiful place to visit. I love the middle picture with the sun rays especially, stunning! 🙂 #timetraveller

Author
      June 1, 2015 / 6:25 am

It really is an amazing place, I would definitely recommend it if you are in the Forest of Dean.

7. June 9, 2015 / 3:51 pm

It looks like the perfect day out! I have never visited the Forest of Dean but your post makes me want to.
    Thanks so much for linking up to #TimeTraveller I really appreciate it and apologies for the enormous delay in getting back to you, half term and work got in the way this time.
    Mari recently posted…‘Golden Set’ cake – Lemon and blueberry polenta cakeMy Profile