Signs that you have a teenager in training

Signs that you have a teenager in training

the teenager in training

a teenager in training

Every time he speaks, he has to sigh dramatically and speak to you as if you know nothing. Because of course you know nothing.

Eye rolling is the only available facial expression.  It is done in response to everything that you say with a few extras for good measure.

Posing for photos is head down and sulky face.

You have to quite literally drag him out of bed in the morning. The little bright-eyed boy who used to wake you up in the morning has now becomes firmly attached to his duvet.

Morning conversation does not happen.  If you are lucky enough to drag him out from beneath his duvet, don’t expect to have a conversation in any other language than grunts.

You always seem to say the wrong thing which is of course a cue for more sighing and dramatic eye rolling.

Life with him could be compared to being on a hormonal rollercoaster; one minute deliriously happy and the next slamming doors and foul tempered.  Moods also change dramatically and in a split second, without warning.

Even though you saw it before he did, he covers his privates when he gets changed.

Clothes have become important and you are no longer allowed to just buy any old thing.  The price tag of his chosen clothes is definitely going up too.

You have to wait a long time to get to the mirror and you will find your supplies of hair products are suddenly disappearing a whole lot quicker than they used to.

In fact, he can’t pass a mirror/window/any shiny object without checking his hair or abs.

Girls are a common topic of conversation (even though he still swears that he won’t have a girlfriend until his is 13).

The time he goes to bed is under constant discussion; with me saying that the time he goes his fine and him arguing that he should go later.

YouTube is the only thing he wants to watch and some of the stuff is mind-numbing.

He doesn’t always want to do things as a family and then makes everyone else miserable when we get him out of the house, just because he can.

There is never any food left in the house.

His trainers are starting to smell like something died in them.

Did I mention that I know nothing and he knows everything. Who needs Google when you have a tween?

He is slowly preparing me for the years of having to pick things up after him.

He knows everything there is to know about sex.  Apparently.

You start using those phrases that your parents said to you and you said you would never use.

May 18, 2015 / 10:05 am

Ha ha oh yes I can imagine, I was looking at some photos on FB of my teens friends and the girls all have sexy pouty faces, it is hilarious.

1. May 15, 2015 / 1:58 pm

Hilarious! I’m so with you on this one. Although BP isn’t too bothered about his appearance – I’m not sure if I need to be worried. But the grunting and sudden mood swings – yep, and yep. Oh it’s fun being a parent isn’t it?
    Morgan Prince recently posted…Escape Soft-Play Centre ReviewMy Profile

May 18, 2015 / 10:04 am

It really is! I’m sure the appearance will come, they suddenly become very aware of how they look and what they are wearing, I am considering taking all of the mirrors away in this house to stop him preening all of the time

May 18, 2015 / 10:03 am

Yes sadly I don’t think it is just boys and I can imagine girls are probably worse with all of those hormones. Good luck

May 18, 2015 / 10:03 am

Yes I think the time will come when he will ask me to stop blogging about him, he doesn’t mind at the moment and I spoke to him last week about it but he says he doesn’t mind, I suppose once they are online with their friends it is a different matter. Oh the crispy socks!! My husband does that and it is disgusting

2. May 15, 2015 / 11:10 pm

Agree with you on everything! My Boy is nearly 13, he seems to think life is all about the PlayStation and huffs and puffs when I all him of he had any homework. A year ago he would have done his homework before I even asked. X
    angela recently posted…#silentsundayMy Profile

May 18, 2015 / 10:02 am

We have avoided buying a Playstation or Xbox for that very reason but I know that we will have to give in on that one eventually. He will still do homework at the moment, begrudgingly but he will. I’m sure that will change …

3. May 16, 2015 / 7:58 am

Eek! Doesn’t sound a lot of fun. I’m lucky that my 11yo is nothing like this (apart from the YouTube and not wanting to get up in the morning) – maybe it’s because he’s got his brother to do stuff like this for him?!
    Good luck with the next few years and having two of them going through this at the same time!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnMy Profile

May 18, 2015 / 10:00 am

Yes I can’t wait for two teen boys in the house, I am sure that will be fun (not). You are very lucky!

May 18, 2015 / 9:59 am

Oh yes, judging by the response to this post, we are not alone.

May 18, 2015 / 9:59 am

Thank you, yes I’m sure a lot of these apply to girls too

May 18, 2015 / 9:58 am

Yes we have been seeing them more and more over the last couple of years but they have definitely been worse since he moved to secondary school, I think that makes a big difference

May 18, 2015 / 9:58 am

Oh yes you must see a lot of these then as you are nearer to the dreaded ‘teen’ years. I don’t get the You Tube thing, I do use it occasionally but couldn’t watch it all of the time like they do

4. May 17, 2015 / 9:47 pm

Should I be scared that my six year old already shares the majority of these traits!? Not the one about private parts yet though. She seems to find clothes a hindrance and walks around at home in the buff which causes me more concern!!
    Sounds like you’ve got a model teen on your hands xx
    Tinuke recently posted…Introducing PRIDE, the linky!My Profile

May 18, 2015 / 9:57 am

Ha ha ha that did make me chuckle as my nine year old is exactly the same, I’m sure he is a naturist in the making. It is scary how young the ‘teenage’ signs seem to start appearing, I was hoping for a few more years yet.

May 18, 2015 / 9:56 am

Yes it is surprising how early it all starts

5. January 20, 2016 / 11:41 am

Oh I recognise some of these already…god help me! What is it with blummin YouTube?

January 24, 2016 / 7:44 pm